“Why not go out on a limb, isn’t that where the fruit is?” This quote is attributed to someone named Frank Scully who is either the politician or the journalist. Whoever he was, the quote is inspirational for those who live in the comfort and safety of their own world but long for something else. Is that you? Do you always live in the shadows of your secret dreams, ambitions? We are only twenty days into the New Year and there is no time than the present to get going. No matter what your age or your fears are, if you truly what something in life, the only thing stopping you is YOU! Really? Really! But…
There are no buts. In today’s Age of the Internet, you can find someone who is doing exactly what you want to do or someone in your similar circumstance who overcame their obstacles or “buts.” All you need to do is type in an inquiry, find them and learn from them.
Sometimes all you need to do is to get going. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step,” the Chinese proverb goes. It’s so true. I’ve compiled a list of ten ideas to get your creative juices flowing for the New Year. Take a look, try one or some of them and then get moving, get unstuck, get inspired!
Let 2015 is the year of something new!
- Learn an “untypical language” (Shona, Amharic, Dutch, Punjabi)
- Eat at an ethnic restaurant you’ve never visited before. Close your eyes point somewhere on the globe, find where they serve that country’s food and go! Or, find a recipe online from that country and make it yourself.
- Take a class on stand up comedy.
- Find an archeological dig somewhere and volunteer.
- Eat raw for a week.
- If you listen only to R&B and rap, go to a country or rock concert and vice versa.
- Invite someone from another culture to your house for dinner.
- Train and run a marathon, half-marathon, or triathlon.
- Visit a monastery.
- Take a second job just to pay off your biggest bill.
See you at the end of the year and on the other side of the no-risk life!